Sunday, February 22, 2009

Claiming a Millennium

While watching a part of the Oscars tonight with Ryan & Lauren, we got into an interesting discussion about Will Smith. (See also: I was with Bethany talking about Will Smith; I was at church talking about Will Smith; etc.) In this particular conversation, we were wondering how he made the jump from dorky teenage rapper in the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to action hero. Seriously... he was in Fresh Prince for 5+ years, did Bad Boys, then did Independence Day, and now he's in approximately half the movies that require someone to shoot someone else.

I can't think of anyone else who has gone from totally cheesy to legitimate actor without any stops in between. The one thing that he didn't get rid of, however, was his ridiculous music. (Ridiculous music that I liked, but ridiculous nonetheless.)

So as Will Smith was lifted up onto the Oscar stage on a rising platform, we were wondering why he got to do that when no one else did. Ryan responded, "Well, I guess it technically is his millennium."

And this led us to an obvious question: How come Will Smith got to claim the entire millennium for himself? (In case you're not aware: Willennium.)

Who makes up these rules? Is it like shotgun... you just are in sight of the millennium and yell your name + "ennium"? If so, I challenge his claim. This album came out in 1999. There's no way he could have seen all the way to 2000 (or 2001, depending on how you look at it). In that case, I can only assume after doing no research that nobody else has realized this, nor have they disputed Will Smith's tyrannical rule.

It's time for a new tyrannical rule. I hereby declare this the Jeffennium. In a related note, I've been told "Jeffennium" sounds stupid, so I'll also allow "Fuzzennium", which has a certain ring to it. Please call when you have written my career launching vehicle co-starring Martin Lawrence.

Some of you may say that you can't yell shotgun once you're already in the car. Well, you can if the other guy cheated. Get in the back, Will.

3 comments:

  1. Though totally irrelevant in regard to the ridiculous concept of owning naming rights to the millenium, I think Tom Hanks wins the "cheesy to legitimate" title (see Bosom Buddies).

    Of course, that was before your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think that's exactly what Bethany said. I didn't think much of it until I saw your post and checked the link. The summary from IMDB says it all: "Two single men must disguise themselves as women to live in the one apartment they can afford."

    You're right, Tom Hanks wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Robin Williams comes in a distant third. (see Mork and Mindy.

    ReplyDelete